Heavy rains disrupt normal life in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Heavy rains triggered by a
depression over the Bay of Bengal pounded several parts of
Orissa Friday, disrupting normal life and dampening Durga puja
The depression, which lay centered at about 300 km
east-south-east of Gopalpur, is likely to intensify into a
deep depression, a senior meteorological official said.
The current environmental condition and numerical
weather prediction (NWP) models suggested that the system is
likely to move north-westward, he said.
Even as heavy downpour lashed many places since
yesterday, the Met office forecast more rain and thundershower
at most areas over coastal Orissa and a few places over
Heavy to very heavy rainfall was forecast at some
places in coastal belt and the Met office advised hoisting of
Local Cautionary signal number-III in ports of Orissa.
As sea condition was likely to be rough, fishermen
were asked not to venture into the sea. Squally wind with
speed reaching 45 to 55 kmph was expected to sweep the coast.
Incessant rains and gusty wind dampened the Durga puja festivities in the region.
The state government had two days ago issued a
high-alert in six coastal districts of Ganjam, Puri,
Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Bhadrak and Balasore and asked the
administration to remain prepared to deal with any situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt