Justice Naidu takes over Kandhamal riot commission
Bhubaneswar: Justice AS Naidu on Monday formally took charge of the judicial probe into the killing of VHP leader Swami Laxamanananda Saraswati and a communal riot that followed in Odisha`s Kandhamal district and elsewhere in 2008.
Justice Naidu, a retired Orissa High Court judge, was named by the state government as the one-man judicial commission of the Kandhamal case after the demise of Justice Sarat Chandra Mohapatra four months ago.
"I will try to expedite the probe and complete it," Justice Naidu said after verifying records at the commission`s office here. The state government had set up a judicial commission on September 3, 2008 immediately after the killing of Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
At least 38 people were killed in Kandhamal alone while the total death toll in the communal riots in the aftermath of Saraswati was 42 in the state. About 4,000 houses besides come churches were burnt during the riot.
While a girl was burnt alive in Baragarh district during the riot, a woman nun was allegedly raped by the mob at Baliguda in Kandhamal district.
Of the total 706 affidavits filed before the commission in connection with the riot, only 164 have so far been accepted while others were at the examination level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31