Kandhamal case: 8 acquitted for lack of evidence
Phulbani: A fast track court on Friday acquitted eight persons for offences committed during the 2008 riots in Orissa`s Kandhamal district, due to lack of evidence.
Additional Sessions Judge of Fast Track court-II B Mishra acquitted the eight accused from Donagoburi village under Tikabali police station.
The accused had been charged with arson, rioting, house burning and unlawful assembly with deadly weapons at the village and for torching seven houses, additional public prosecutor (APP) S P Tripathy said.
Kandhamal district had witnessed largescale violence in the aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati during Janmastami festival in August, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31