Man arrested for extorting money by posing as Maoi
Malkangiri: A man was arrested for allegedly extorting money from people by posing as a Maoist in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said Wednesday.
Angry villagers caught the fake ultra, identified as Mohan Hantal (25) of Chitrakonda area in the naxal-hit district, and handed him over to police yesterday, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
Hantal had been indulging in extortion in the area for last couple of months besides threatening people by identifying himself as a Maoist cadre, police said.
He was caught and handed over to the police when he demanded money from the sarpanch of Gunthagada grampanchayat, they said.
Thorough examination of Hantal`s antecedents show he was neither a Maoist nor had any link with the red rebels, police said he tried to earn easy money by posing as a Naxal.
Extortion by miscreants posing as Maoists has been on the rise in districts like Malkangiri, Koraput and Rayagada in southern Odisha, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government wasting public money for image makeover'
- Kiran Bedi seeks banks' help for 'prosperous' Puducherry
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes