Man arrested for extorting money by posing as Maoi
Malkangiri: A man was arrested for allegedly extorting money from people by posing as a Maoist in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said Wednesday.
Angry villagers caught the fake ultra, identified as Mohan Hantal (25) of Chitrakonda area in the naxal-hit district, and handed him over to police yesterday, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
Hantal had been indulging in extortion in the area for last couple of months besides threatening people by identifying himself as a Maoist cadre, police said.
He was caught and handed over to the police when he demanded money from the sarpanch of Gunthagada grampanchayat, they said.
Thorough examination of Hantal`s antecedents show he was neither a Maoist nor had any link with the red rebels, police said he tried to earn easy money by posing as a Naxal.
Extortion by miscreants posing as Maoists has been on the rise in districts like Malkangiri, Koraput and Rayagada in southern Odisha, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal