Man arrested for extorting money by posing as Maoi
Malkangiri: A man was arrested for allegedly extorting money from people by posing as a Maoist in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, police said Wednesday.
Angry villagers caught the fake ultra, identified as Mohan Hantal (25) of Chitrakonda area in the naxal-hit district, and handed him over to police yesterday, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
Hantal had been indulging in extortion in the area for last couple of months besides threatening people by identifying himself as a Maoist cadre, police said.
He was caught and handed over to the police when he demanded money from the sarpanch of Gunthagada grampanchayat, they said.
Thorough examination of Hantal`s antecedents show he was neither a Maoist nor had any link with the red rebels, police said he tried to earn easy money by posing as a Naxal.
Extortion by miscreants posing as Maoists has been on the rise in districts like Malkangiri, Koraput and Rayagada in southern Odisha, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth