Man arrested for giving shelter to Maoist leaders
Berhampur (Orissa): A man was arrested in
Kandhamal district of Orissa for allegedly giving shelter to
Maoist leaders in his house, police said today.
Gavaskar Nayak (27) of Rutangia village under
G.Udayagiri police station limit was closely associated with
Maoist leader Azad, police said.
Nayak, a former driver of a private construction
company was allegedly giving shelter and arranged doctors for
the treatment of another Maoist Padma and wife of Azad in
Police claimed Nayak, after being arrested yesterday,
confessed to acting as a middleman and a courier to supply
material to Maoists.
"During our raid we also recovered some Maoist posters
from his house", said Kandhamal SP J.N. Pankaj. He said police
are investigating his involvement in crimes in Kandhamal and
According to police, Nayak had a lot of clout in
Sorada, Badagada and Gazalabadi areas in Ganjam district
Police also arrested two supporters of Maoists in
Daringibadi area three days ago. Nirakant Pradhan of Kerubadi
village and Varsu Mallick of Gahedu village were arrested on
charges of supplying rice, ration and other material to the
The duo was also allegedly helping the ultras to paste
Maoist posters in various places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter