Man arrested in connection with Posco clash
Bhubaneswar: An employee of a construction firm, engaged for building the controversial coastal road linking the port town with the proposed Posco steel plant
site, was arrested in Chattisgarh on Friday in connection with a clash in the Posco project area, police said.
Nine days after the violence on December 14 that claimed the life of one person and injured 25 others, a police team from Odisha nabbed Sharkhel, an employee of Paradip Paribahan Company, from a hotel at Raipur in Chhattisgarh in the early
hours today, the police said.
With this the number of people arrested in connection with the incident rose to six.
Steps are being taken to bring Sharkhel to Odisha, against whom an FIR had been filed at Kujang police station near Paradip in Jagatsinghpur district naming him as an accused in the December 14 clash, they said.
Police had earlier raided the office of Sharkel on the basis of the FIR, the police said.
Other cases were also pending against him in different police stations in Jagatsinghpur district, the police said.
Sharkel was one of the accused in the clash between the anti-Posco brigade and the contractor group. The incident had sparked uproar in the state assembly.
As the news of Sharkhel`s arrest spread, a group of miscreants believed to be his supporters stormed into the IOC refinery campus at Paradip and indulged in vandalism. Alleging that Sharkhel was framed in false case, they demanded
withdrawal of charges against him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata