Mobile towers set ablaze by Maoists in Orissa
Berhampur (Orissa): Maoists set ablaze at least three mobile towers at Baragada area in Ganjam district of Orissa on the first day of the two-day state-wide bandh called by them.
Armed rebels stormed into Goudagotha and Baroda
villages in Maoist infested Ganjam-Kandhamal-Gajapati border
and set afire mobile towers of BSNL and a private company in
the early hours, police said.
The left-wing ultras also pasted posters asking people
to make the bandh a success and to protest anti-naxal
This was the second major incident of the Maoists in
the district in the last 20 days.
The ultras had blown up fivem mobile towers of private
cellular operators at Asurabandha (3) and Gajalabadi (2) on
December 16, they said.
A senior police officer said the ultras did not blow
up the towers by using explosives this time. They burnt the
cables by using husk and kerosene.
Meanwhile, normal life in the part of Kandhamal
district was affected due the bandh of the Maoist. While the
vehicles were off the roads in several places in Ganjam and
Kandhamal districts, shops and business establishments downed
their shutters in Daringibadi, Bramhanigaon and Kotagarh areas
in Kandhamal district.
The shutdown has been called in protest against
killing of top Maoist leader Kishenji.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened