Odisha Assembly condoles death of BSF personnel
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly on Tuesday paid
tributes to seven security personnel, including four from BSF,
who laid down their lives fighting against Maoists in the
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik moved a motion in the house
as soon as the customary Governor`s address on the first
day of the budget session was over.
The motion was supported by the leaders of Congress,
BJP, NCP and CPI leaders who too made obituary references.
The late security personnel of BSF comprised JR Khaswan,
ex-commandan, Rajesh Sharan, second-in-command, Ashok Kumar
Yadav, ex-inspector and Jitendra Kumar, ex-ASI. It also
included Odisha Police`s Sunasira Mohanty, ex-constable,
Umakanta Jani, ex-constable and Sangram Kumar Lenka,
While BSF personnel died in a land mine explosion in
Malkangiri district on Febuary 10, the three Odisha police
members died in Kandhamal district while fighting against the
ultras, Patnaik said.
Paying tributes to the security personnel, Patnaik said
the four BSF jawans hailing from other states sacrificed
their lives in Odisha.
The House also condoled the death of ex-minister and
ex-leader of opposition Ulaka Ramachandra and former members
Bhanu Prakash Joshi, Gopinath Bhoi and Kanhu Charana Mallick.
"Ullaka Ramachandra was a prominent tribal leader who had
been elected to the Assembly seven times and also become
minister. He was also leader of opposition for some time,"
Leader of Opposition of Congress, Bhupinder Singh said.
The members observed two minutes` silence as a mark of
respect to the departed souls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert