Odisha Assembly pays tribute to IK Gujral
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly paid tribute to former prime minister IK Gujral and the House was adjourned for the day without transacting any business.
As soon as the Assembly began, Leader of the House and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik moved a condolence motion describing Gujral as a great statesman and leaders across partylines mourned his death.
"Gujral`s demise is a great loss for the nation," Patnaik said.
Leader of the Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress said Gujral was an amicable person who mingled with people in no time. "I pray for peace to his soul," Singh said.
"Gujral had excelled in every field of life he was associated with," said BJP Legislature Party leader KV Singhdeo.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat too paid tribute to the former prime minister.
The members observed one minute silence to pay tribute to Gujral before the Speaker announced adjournment of the House as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon