Odisha Assembly pays tribute to IK Gujral
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly paid tribute to former prime minister IK Gujral and the House was adjourned for the day without transacting any business.
As soon as the Assembly began, Leader of the House and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik moved a condolence motion describing Gujral as a great statesman and leaders across partylines mourned his death.
"Gujral`s demise is a great loss for the nation," Patnaik said.
Leader of the Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress said Gujral was an amicable person who mingled with people in no time. "I pray for peace to his soul," Singh said.
"Gujral had excelled in every field of life he was associated with," said BJP Legislature Party leader KV Singhdeo.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat too paid tribute to the former prime minister.
The members observed one minute silence to pay tribute to Gujral before the Speaker announced adjournment of the House as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam