Odisha Assembly pays tribute to IK Gujral
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly paid tribute to former prime minister IK Gujral and the House was adjourned for the day without transacting any business.
As soon as the Assembly began, Leader of the House and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik moved a condolence motion describing Gujral as a great statesman and leaders across partylines mourned his death.
"Gujral`s demise is a great loss for the nation," Patnaik said.
Leader of the Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress said Gujral was an amicable person who mingled with people in no time. "I pray for peace to his soul," Singh said.
"Gujral had excelled in every field of life he was associated with," said BJP Legislature Party leader KV Singhdeo.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat too paid tribute to the former prime minister.
The members observed one minute silence to pay tribute to Gujral before the Speaker announced adjournment of the House as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj