Odisha Assembly proceedings paralysed
Bhubaneswar: Proceedings of the Odisha Assembly was paralysed on Friday as Congress legislators stormed into the well protesting alleged police excesses during a party rally here while ruling BJD MLAs countered them.
As soon as the House assembled for the day, members of the opposition Congress were on their feet alleging attack by police on party demonstrators who held a rally in a peaceful and democratic manner here yesterday.
The angry Congress legislators trooped into the well accusing police personnel of using force, including batons against party rallyists without any provocation.
Shouting slogans against the Naveen Patnaik government and the police action, the opposition members attempted to climb the speaker`s podium.
Noisy scenes prevailed in the House as ruling BJD members refuted the allegations levelled by Congress MLAs and alleged that the demonstrators indulged in violence and attacked the police personnel mercilessly.
Placards were also displayed condemning the violent incidents that took place during the demonstration.
As pandemonium persisted despite appeals to restore order, the Speaker adjourned the House till 3 pm, barely six minutes after commencement of question hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly