Odisha Assembly proceedings paralysed
Bhubaneswar: Proceedings of the Odisha Assembly was paralysed on Friday as Congress legislators stormed into the well protesting alleged police excesses during a party rally here while ruling BJD MLAs countered them.
As soon as the House assembled for the day, members of the opposition Congress were on their feet alleging attack by police on party demonstrators who held a rally in a peaceful and democratic manner here yesterday.
The angry Congress legislators trooped into the well accusing police personnel of using force, including batons against party rallyists without any provocation.
Shouting slogans against the Naveen Patnaik government and the police action, the opposition members attempted to climb the speaker`s podium.
Noisy scenes prevailed in the House as ruling BJD members refuted the allegations levelled by Congress MLAs and alleged that the demonstrators indulged in violence and attacked the police personnel mercilessly.
Placards were also displayed condemning the violent incidents that took place during the demonstration.
As pandemonium persisted despite appeals to restore order, the Speaker adjourned the House till 3 pm, barely six minutes after commencement of question hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?