Odisha districts alerted as cyclone Leher approaches landfall
Bhubaneswar: Hardly had the dust settled on the devastating Cyclone Phailin ravaging Odisha and Andhra Pradesh`s coastal districts, the two states were bracing for another storm "Cyclone Lehar" to strike.
The state government on Monday put district authorities on alert, especially those of 10 southern and coastal districts, as the severe cyclonic storm is expected to make a landfall between Kalingapatnam and Machhlipatnam of Andhra Pradesh at around noon of November 28.
It is now stationed at about 1000-km south-east of Gopalpur, the weather office said.
"We have alerted the Collectors of 10 districts of south and coastal region. Fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea,? Special Relief Commissioner PK Mohapatra told reporters.
He, however, said that the storm, which is expected to pack a wind speed 200 kmph during landfall, will have less impact in Odisha than Andhra Pradesh.
As predicted by the MeT department, three coastal districts of Kendrapara, Puri and Jagatsingpur may be affected by the storm while southern districts, including Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Malkangiri, Nabarangpur and Rayagada, may face heavy showers.
"We have asked the district collectors to ensure that the mandis should remain prepared to store paddy and other grains before the disaster strikes," Mohapatra said.
As per the latest MET prediction, Cyclone Lehar over southeast Bay of Bengal has moved westwards with a speed of 15 km/hr.
The system would intensify further into a very severe cyclonic storm and move west-northwestwards and cross the Andhra Pradesh coast between Machillipatnam and Kalingapatnam near the Kakinada coast at around noon of November 28.
The Distant Warning Signal Number Two (DW-II) has been hoisted at Paradip and Gopalpur ports, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened