Odisha districts alerted as cyclone Leher approaches landfall
Bhubaneswar: Hardly had the dust settled on the devastating Cyclone Phailin ravaging Odisha and Andhra Pradesh`s coastal districts, the two states were bracing for another storm "Cyclone Lehar" to strike.
The state government on Monday put district authorities on alert, especially those of 10 southern and coastal districts, as the severe cyclonic storm is expected to make a landfall between Kalingapatnam and Machhlipatnam of Andhra Pradesh at around noon of November 28.
It is now stationed at about 1000-km south-east of Gopalpur, the weather office said.
"We have alerted the Collectors of 10 districts of south and coastal region. Fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea,? Special Relief Commissioner PK Mohapatra told reporters.
He, however, said that the storm, which is expected to pack a wind speed 200 kmph during landfall, will have less impact in Odisha than Andhra Pradesh.
As predicted by the MeT department, three coastal districts of Kendrapara, Puri and Jagatsingpur may be affected by the storm while southern districts, including Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Malkangiri, Nabarangpur and Rayagada, may face heavy showers.
"We have asked the district collectors to ensure that the mandis should remain prepared to store paddy and other grains before the disaster strikes," Mohapatra said.
As per the latest MET prediction, Cyclone Lehar over southeast Bay of Bengal has moved westwards with a speed of 15 km/hr.
The system would intensify further into a very severe cyclonic storm and move west-northwestwards and cross the Andhra Pradesh coast between Machillipatnam and Kalingapatnam near the Kakinada coast at around noon of November 28.
The Distant Warning Signal Number Two (DW-II) has been hoisted at Paradip and Gopalpur ports, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre