Odisha hostage crisis: Mediators suspend talks

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 23:16

Bhubaneswar: Maoist mediators in the parleys
for the release of Italian Paolo Bosusco tonight alleged
Odisha government was buying time and suspended talks with a
warning that it would be responsible if any harm was caused to
the hostage.

"Talks have been suspended. There has been delay in
resolving the issue as Odisha government is buying time
instead of sincerely responding to the demands of the
Maoists," mediators B D Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty told
reporters here.

They said there was no agreement on any of the 13 demands
given by the Maoists during talks with the state government
representatives led by Home Secretary U N Behera and under the
circumstances it was pointless to continue the negotiations.
They also warned the state government would be
responsible if any harm is caused to the 54-year-old Italian
Puri-based tour operator who is in captivity since March 14.
Another Italian Claudio Colangelo, 61, was freed on
Sunday by the rebels.

Sharma and Mohanty termed as "unfortunate" Chief Minister
Naveen Patnaik`s claim that some additional demands had been
made and maintained there are only 13 demands which had
earlier been placed before the government.
Patnaik had earlier said the state government had
received some additional demands from the mediators which were
being examined.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 23:16

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus