Odisha opposes visit of central experts team on Polavaram
Bhubaneswar: Seeking re-imposition of the ban on construction work of Polavaram project on Godavari river in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, the Odisha government has opposed the visit of a three-member central experts` team to discuss the controversial project.
The experts` team was scheduled to make a trip to the state today. "We had requested the ministry of environment and forests (MoEF) to defer the team`s visit to Odisha as various clearances, including environment and forest, given to the Polavaram project were under consideration of the Supreme Court," Water Resources secretary Suresh Mohapatra said.
In a letter to MoEF joint secretary Ajay Tyagi on June 19, Mohapatra pointed out that Odisha has also sought re-imposition of the ban on construction work of Polavaram.
The MoEF had in a communication to the state government on May 21 said the stop work order of Polavaram has been kept in abeyance for six months.
In response, Mohapatra sought extension of the ban on the ground that construction activity would adversely affect the interests of Odisha.
The state government has filed several cases in the Supreme Court challenging MoEF`s environmental clearance and the Ministry of Tribal Affairs` (MoTA) rehabilitation and resettlement clearance. "We have sought cancellation of both clearances," Mohapatra said.
On December 19, 2007, the National Environment Appellate Authority (NEAA) had set aside MoEF`s environmental clearance to Polavaram and directed holding of public hearing in the affected areas of Odisha and Chhattisgarh. The Andhra Pradesh government challenged the NEAA orders in the High Court, which passed an interim order on December 31, 2007, suspending the NEAA directive until further orders.
The state`s water resource secretary in his letter to
MoEF joint secretary referred to a previous missive from the state Chief Secretary to Secretary, MoEF.
The Chief Secretary had informed the MoEF that it would not be appropriate to take up public hearing on Polavaram through the State Pollution Control Board (as suggested by Andhra Pradesh in 2009) as the matter was sub-judice.
Odisha had been pointing out that the proposed project at Polavaram would submerge over 2,100 hectare spread over 13 tribal villages in Padia block of Maoist-hit Malkangiri district.
The state government also pointed out that different clearances had been issued by various central government departments even as no public hearing was conducted in Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced