Odisha seeks RBI`s support for smooth relief payments
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government has sought support of RBI to facilitate government payments towards relief expenditure in view of the severe cyclonic storm `Phailin` all set to hit land near Gopalpur in Ganjam district, official sources said.
In his letter to the regional director Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Additional Chief Secretary (Finance) UN Behera said: "Treasuries of all the cyclone prone districts will remain open during the Puja holidays to facilitate processing of bills relating to emergent relief expenditure."
"You are requested to issue suitable instructions to the agency banks transacting government business to be in preparedness to carry out government payments relating to relief expenditure from October 12-14 and on other holidays to ensure flow of funds for relief activities," Behera said.
The Finance department has also directed the engineer-in-chief (electrical) to ensure uninterrupted power supply to treasuries as well as the directorate of treasuries, since treasuries will remain open to facilitate government payments for relief activities.
The state government has already cancelled Puja holidays for its four lakh employees in view of the impending calamity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras
- Uproar in Rajya Sabha over attack on women in Madhya Pradesh for carrying beef