Odisha`s raped minor girl critical, put on ventilator
Bhubaneswar: The minor girl who was allegedly gang-raped in Rayagada and later attempted self-immolation was on Monday put on ventilator when her condition worsened as she developed an infection and breathing problem.
The condition of the girl, undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Visakhapatanam, is very critical, Rayagada District Collector S S Padhi said.
The orphan girl was allegedly gang-raped by some youths while she was returning from work late on January 2. Unable to bear the humiliation, she set herself on fire and sustained about 80 per cent burns.
The girl was later shifted to a private hospital in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
Besides the district collector, Odisha`s ST and SC Development Minister L B Himirika and chairperson of the State Commission for Women have already visited the hospital at Visakhapatanam.
Meanwhile, the family members of the four accused youths threatened to commit self-immolation saying there was no evidence indicating their involvement.
Rayagada SP Rajesh Pandit said the youths were arrested based on the statement of the victim.
"The police will submit chargesheet within one month," he said.
A large number of women and students staged a demonstration demanding stringent punishment against the youths involved in the gang-rape of the 16-year-old.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram