Offer to negotiate with Maoists for kidnapped Italians
Berhampur: Dandapani Mohanty,
one of the three interlocutors who negotiated between Maoists
and the Odisha government for release of then Malkanagiri
collector R Vinnel Krishna last year, has offered to
negotiate for release of two abducted Italians if asked.
"I am ready to negotiate, but the appeal should come
from both sides - Odisha government and the Maoists," Mohanty,
convenor of Jana Adhikar Manch (JAM) said.
Appealing the ultras not to harm the Italians, he also
urged the state government to intervene in the matter
Four persons, including two Italians were abducted by
Maoists from Kandhamal while they were on tour of Daringibadi,
a tourist spot in the district.
They set free the cook and driver accompanying them.
The Maoists have demanded halt to combing operation,
release of people arrested on charge of being Maoists and
discussion on their 13-point demands made during negotiations
with the government for release of in February last year,
The government had agreed to implement the demands
after a prolonged discussion, but most of them were yet to be
implemented. "Let the government clarify its stand," he said.
Besides Mohanty, other two mediators - Prof Haragopal
and R S Rao from Andhra Pradesh - had negotiated with the
government for about a week to reach on an agreement. Rao has
since passed away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sensex in wait-and-watch mode ahead of 'Brexit' vote
- Anushka Sharma to organise special 'Sultan' screening for beau Virat Kohli?
- Chennai lawyer hacked to death in broad daylight
- Need manicure tips at home? Watch this video now!
- Telangana Intermediate Second Year Result 2016, Telangana TS Inter 1st Year Results 2016, Telangana BIE Class 12 Supplementary Results 2016 to be declared today; check bie.telangana.gov.in