Orissa agriculture minister gets bail
Paradip: Orissa`s Agriculture
minister Damodar Rout, accused of hurting sentiments of
Dalits by uttering the word "Harijan", has been granted bail
by a lower court at Kujang in Jagatsinghpur district on Monday.
While allowing bail for the minister, the Judicial
Magistrate (first class) of Kujang in Jagatsinghpur district
has asked Rout to cooperate with the investigating agency and
not to influence witnesses.
The court also cautioned the minister not to utter the
word "Harijan" in future.
The BJD leader, who personally appeared before the
court furnished a bond of Rs 20,000 and two surety.
While addressing a public meeting in August 2010, Rout
had used the word Harijan, which hurt the sentimates of
One Manoj Kumar Bhoi had filed a FIR at Kujang police
station on August 21, 2010 against the minister for his
Rout moved the lower court after the Orissa High Court
denied him an anticipatory bail in the case. However, the High
Court had suggested the minister to approach the lower court
for a regular bail.
Even the issue was echoed in the state assembly
and the minister had clarified that "he will not attend the
assembly if the court issues warrant against me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price