Orissa agriculture minister gets bail
Paradip: Orissa`s Agriculture
minister Damodar Rout, accused of hurting sentiments of
Dalits by uttering the word "Harijan", has been granted bail
by a lower court at Kujang in Jagatsinghpur district on Monday.
While allowing bail for the minister, the Judicial
Magistrate (first class) of Kujang in Jagatsinghpur district
has asked Rout to cooperate with the investigating agency and
not to influence witnesses.
The court also cautioned the minister not to utter the
word "Harijan" in future.
The BJD leader, who personally appeared before the
court furnished a bond of Rs 20,000 and two surety.
While addressing a public meeting in August 2010, Rout
had used the word Harijan, which hurt the sentimates of
One Manoj Kumar Bhoi had filed a FIR at Kujang police
station on August 21, 2010 against the minister for his
Rout moved the lower court after the Orissa High Court
denied him an anticipatory bail in the case. However, the High
Court had suggested the minister to approach the lower court
for a regular bail.
Even the issue was echoed in the state assembly
and the minister had clarified that "he will not attend the
assembly if the court issues warrant against me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!