Orissa floods: Centre sanctions Rs 918 cr
Bhubaneswar: The Centre on Wednesday sanctioned
Rs 918.30 crore as flood assistance to Orissa besides agreeing
to bear the expenses incurred towards air-dropping of food
materials during relief operations in the state, official
"We have received a letter from the Centre confirming
sanction of Rs 908.30 crore from National Disaster Response
Fund (NDRF) and Rs 10 crore from National Rural Drinking Water
Scheme," Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) P K Mohapatra told
Stating that the state government had sought an
assistance of Rs 3,265 crore from the Centre for relief,
rescue and restoration activities in the flood affected
districts, the SRC said that at least 21 of the 30 districts
of the state were affected in the calamity.
"The centre has also agreed to bear the expenses of
air-dropping of food materials. At least 82 sorties were made
during the relief operation the cost of which could be Rs 3.1
crore," the SRC said adding that the total assistance towards
flood would be around Rs 921.40 crore.
The state had witnessed two spells of floods due to
depression induced heavy rainfall at upper catchment areas of
river Mahanadi, Brahmani, Baitarani and other major rivers of
the state in the first week of September and middle of that
Besides a large number of live stocks, at least 87
persons were killed in the calamity and a large number of
houses were damaged in the twin floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Duterte death squad fears rise as Philippine police kill eight
- OFFICIAL: Manchester United confirm signing Jose Mourinho as new manager
- So cute! Shilpa Shetty's birthday present has two special names embedded on it! – View pic
- Here's what John Abraham has to say on former girlfriend Bipasha Basu's wedding!
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe