Orissa: Master plan to regulate mining activities
Bhubaneswar: In a bid to regulate mining activities in Orissa`s Joda and Koira regions, the state government on Friday decided to develop a master plan to ensure that the cumulative effect of the extraction from individual mines is within sustainable limit, official sources said.
An 11-member committee headed by the chief secretary would consider and recommend maximum quantity of iron ore, manganese ore that should be extracted from Joda and Koira areas based on which production of individual mines would be regulated to ensure judicious and sustainable exploitation of valuable minerals, a notification issued by the Steel and Mines department said.
Stating that the local environment of Joda in Keonjhar district and Koira in Sundergarh district had been badly affected on account of excessive production and transportation of iron ore and manganese ore from mines, a senior official said that it was necessary to regulate production and despatch of minerals from mines.
Guidelines of regulation would be made taking into account the need for conservation of minerals, carrying capacity of the region, railway and road infrastructure available, impact on environment and the pollution factor, he said.
The 11-member committee would also comprise state Forest secretary, secretary of state pollution control board, chairman of the Paradip Port Trust, general manager East Coast Railway, GM, South-Eastern Railway and other related to production and transportation of minerals.
Unregulated mining had also led to large scale illegal mining activities in the state, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves