Personal guard of top Maoist leader surrenders
Paralakhemundi: In a major cause of worry for the Left ultras, a close confidante and personal guard of top Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, Prashant Majhi alias Sushant, surrendered before police in Paralakhemundi in Odisha.
The surrender took place on Friday before Superintendent of Police Sarthak Sarangi in Gajapati district after which he was produced before mediapersons.
Sarangi said that Majhi a 23-year-old cadre was involved in several incidents of crime including murder of two guards in Katama village and other incidents of violence.
"He was involved with the Maoist organisation since 2005 and from 2010 was playing the role of personal security officer of Sabyasachi Panda," said Sarangi.
He added that Majhi also acted as a courier service and provided logistical support to the Maoist organisation.
Sarangi further laid down the reasons behind Majhi`s surrender acquired after preliminary rounds of investigation.
"He was normally a close confidante of Panda. As per our intelligence input there is a rift between cadres of Chhattisgarh and Odisha, and Sabyasachi Panda is being cornered by Chhattisgarh cadres. So that is the reason I think people close to Panda are also not feeling safe and coming for surrender," said Sarangi.
Disillusionment and ideological differences have many a times led to acts of surrender by Maoists cadres who after witnessing years of exploitation and difficult living succumb to their desire of a peaceful living.
Rebels who lay down their arms and agree to abhor the path of violence, are rehabilitated by the state government which provides them monetary help and works towards mainstreaming their lives.
The surrender comes two days after the release of Chhattisgarh District Collector Alex Paul Menon who was held hostage by ultras for 13 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH