Personal guard of top Maoist leader surrenders
Paralakhemundi: In a major cause of worry for the Left ultras, a close confidante and personal guard of top Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, Prashant Majhi alias Sushant, surrendered before police in Paralakhemundi in Odisha.
The surrender took place on Friday before Superintendent of Police Sarthak Sarangi in Gajapati district after which he was produced before mediapersons.
Sarangi said that Majhi a 23-year-old cadre was involved in several incidents of crime including murder of two guards in Katama village and other incidents of violence.
"He was involved with the Maoist organisation since 2005 and from 2010 was playing the role of personal security officer of Sabyasachi Panda," said Sarangi.
He added that Majhi also acted as a courier service and provided logistical support to the Maoist organisation.
Sarangi further laid down the reasons behind Majhi`s surrender acquired after preliminary rounds of investigation.
"He was normally a close confidante of Panda. As per our intelligence input there is a rift between cadres of Chhattisgarh and Odisha, and Sabyasachi Panda is being cornered by Chhattisgarh cadres. So that is the reason I think people close to Panda are also not feeling safe and coming for surrender," said Sarangi.
Disillusionment and ideological differences have many a times led to acts of surrender by Maoists cadres who after witnessing years of exploitation and difficult living succumb to their desire of a peaceful living.
Rebels who lay down their arms and agree to abhor the path of violence, are rehabilitated by the state government which provides them monetary help and works towards mainstreaming their lives.
The surrender comes two days after the release of Chhattisgarh District Collector Alex Paul Menon who was held hostage by ultras for 13 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam