Police file chargesheet in minor gang-rape case within 35 days
Rayagada (Odisha): Acting swiftly, police on late Friday filed a charge sheet within 35 days before a court here against four persons allegedly involved in the gang-rape of a minor orphan girl who later immolated herself.
"We have filed the charge sheet before the court of sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM), Rayagada, against four accused persons under various sections of IPC," Inspector in charge of Rayagada town police station Prasant Kumar Bhupati said.
Four accused persons identified as Bharat Khosla, Naveen Mallik, Mallik Khosla and Muna Chhatria were arrested immediately after the crime and sent to jail custody.
The accused, who are aged between 19 to 24 years, were charged with gang-rape, abatement of suicide, criminal intimidation, wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement and voluntarily causing serious hurt, Bhupati said.
Police had recorded the statement of 56 witnesses during investigation.
The victim, an orphan, who was staying with her grandmother, was raped by four persons while returning home from her work place in Odisha`s Rayagada town on January 2.
Unable to cope with the humiliation, the girl set herself on fire the next day and had sustained over 80 per cent burn injury.
After battling for life in the local government hospital, she was shifted to a private hospital at Vishakhapatnam on January 7 where she breathed her last on January 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail