Police probe into liquor tragedy still on
Cuttack: More than ten months after the February 2012 liquor tragedy of Cuttack and Khurda districts, the police is yet to complete their investigation.
At least 40 people of neighbouring areas of the two districts had died after consuming illicit liquor manufactured by bootleggers that had high content of poisonous methyl alcohol.
Deposing before the Justice A S Naidu Commission of Enquiry yesterday, Cuttack city additional DCP Gurudas Kundu, who is heading the police investigations into the tragedy,? told the panel that the police investigations into the tragedy is not yet complete.
He, however, said the investigation pertaining to Cuttack jurisdiction is over and the charge-sheet has been filed while the probe relating to the tragedy in Khurda district is still open.
Cross examining the police, the Nasha Mukti Abhiyan convener Chittaranjan Mohanty, who has filed an affidavit before the Commission as a witness, asked as to why the police have registered cases under sections 274, 275 and 276 of IPC but not under sections 272 and 273 of IPC.
Mohanty said while sections 274, 275 and 276 deal with trade in adulterated drugs, sections 272 and 273 deal with adulterated food and drinks.
Fine and quantum of punishment in all these sections are same, Mohanty said alleging that police action smells a rat as if the tragedy was caused only due to failure of excise department and the drugs controller has no role in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe