Police probe into liquor tragedy still on
Cuttack: More than ten months after the February 2012 liquor tragedy of Cuttack and Khurda districts, the police is yet to complete their investigation.
At least 40 people of neighbouring areas of the two districts had died after consuming illicit liquor manufactured by bootleggers that had high content of poisonous methyl alcohol.
Deposing before the Justice A S Naidu Commission of Enquiry yesterday, Cuttack city additional DCP Gurudas Kundu, who is heading the police investigations into the tragedy,? told the panel that the police investigations into the tragedy is not yet complete.
He, however, said the investigation pertaining to Cuttack jurisdiction is over and the charge-sheet has been filed while the probe relating to the tragedy in Khurda district is still open.
Cross examining the police, the Nasha Mukti Abhiyan convener Chittaranjan Mohanty, who has filed an affidavit before the Commission as a witness, asked as to why the police have registered cases under sections 274, 275 and 276 of IPC but not under sections 272 and 273 of IPC.
Mohanty said while sections 274, 275 and 276 deal with trade in adulterated drugs, sections 272 and 273 deal with adulterated food and drinks.
Fine and quantum of punishment in all these sections are same, Mohanty said alleging that police action smells a rat as if the tragedy was caused only due to failure of excise department and the drugs controller has no role in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof