Post-poll violence in Odisha`s coastal region claims one life
Bhubaneswar: Even as polling for Odisha`s twin polls was completed peacefully, the politically sensitive coastal region witnessed post-poll clashes resulting in one death, prompting the Kendrapara district administration to impose prohibitory order banning meetings, rallies and protest.
The administration enforced Section 144 of the CrPC in the entire district after the death of a man in a group clash in the Aul Assembly segment and physical assault of a government official at the district headquarters town of Kendrapara.
"The prohibitory order will remain in force till April 21 in the entire district...," Kendrapara district magistrate Nitin B Jawale told reporters.
He also asked the people to maintain peace in the area.
According to police a clash took place between supporters of the ruling BJD and Congress in Aul area last night. A middle-aged BJD supporter, identified as Arjun Rout, succumbed to injuries while four activists of the same party were hurt, Additional Superintendent of Police Ramesh Chandra Mohanty said.
Protesting against the death, BJD supporters today staged a road blockade on the National Highway-5 (A) connecting Paradip and Daitari. It was lifted after police intervention, said Kendrapara sub-divisional police officer N C Swain.
Meanwhile, accusing the ruling party of rigging and tampering of electronic voting machines (EVM) with help of a government official, the opposition parties yesterday attacked the block development officer (BDO) of Marsaghai leading to a large-scale protest across Kendrapara district.
The opposition parties raised complaint when they found a vechile loaded with EVMs parked in front of residence of a government officer. They suspected that the EVMs were kept at official`s residence for the purpose of tampering instead of being stored in the strong room.
A check by the district administration in presence of candidates, however, revealed that the EVMs were not used, said the Kendrapara district collector.
A report from Puri district said tension prevailed in certain pockets under Brahmagiri Assembly segment where minor group clashes took place. The security personnel have undertaken flag march in the areas vulnerable to violence, a senior police officer said.
Similarly, tension also prevailed in certain areas under Sukinda Assembly segment in Jajpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint