Pranab lays foundation stone of new NIT building
Rourkela: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday laid the foundation stone for a Rs 60 crore building of the prestigious National Institute of Technology (NIT) here.
The 13 storied building equipped with sophisticated
gadgets and modern facilities would be constructed coinciding
with the golden jubilee of NIT.
The landmark building, scheduled to be completed in
two years, would house important sections including the
administrative office of the NIT.
Mukherjee, who was on a two-day visit to the steel
city, praised the role being played by NIT in imparting high
quality technological education.
The finance minister also inaugurated the 84th annual
conference of Nikhila Bharat Banga Sahitya Samilana where more
than 1,000 delegates participated from different parts of the
Highlighting the significant role played by language
in national integration and harmony, Mukherjee said the bond
among people gets strengthened through literature which
transcends geographical barriers.
The senior Congress leader, during his arrival here
yesterday, was greeted with a demonstration by activists of
India Against Corruption who protested the visit.
About six of the demonstrators who shouted slogans
and carried flags demanding a strong Lokpal, were arrested as
a preventive measure.
The finance minister had attended the golden jubilee
celebrations of Rourkela Chamber of Commerce and Industry last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket