Proprietor of private health institute sentenced to 2 years
Kendrapara: A local court in Jagatsinghpur has sentenced the proprietor of a private health institute to two years of rigorous imprisonment for violating bio-medical waste rules.
Sub Divisional Judicial Magistrate, Jagatsinghpur, Sanjeev Kumar Samanta convicted the accused Anjan Kumar Das, proprietor of a clinic and nursing home in Jagatsinghpur district headquarters town, and sentenced him to undergo two year rigorous imprisonment.
The convict was also directed to pay Rs 50,000 as penalty for infringement of bio-medical waste rules.
The court pronounced the verdict on Wednesday for contravention of section 15 Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, and violation of Bio Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998, said State Pollution Control Board (SPCB), counsel Deb Kishore Kar.
"This is the first court verdict on bio-medical waste rule violation. Around 20 institutes, including government medical college hospitals are facing charges of violation of Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) rules. SPCB have registered cases against authorities of errant hospitals under section-15, Environment (Protection) Act, 1986. The cases are under various stages of trial in various courts," said Senior Law Officer, SPCB, Bhagbat Prasad Pattajoshi.
SPCB framed charges against the unit in Jagatsinghpur as it is empowered by the act to enforce bio-medical waste management hand handing rules.
The board had granted provisional authorisation on 16/2/2004 valid up to 15/2/2005 on trial basis. There was inspection by board officials on 16/12/2005 which detected serious lapses in waste management.
A show cause notice was served. The accused failed to submit a compliance report. The unit was again inspected on 26/2/2006. It was found that it did not adhere to earmarked practice of collection, segregation in accordance with provisions of bio-medical waste rules.
On wilful violation of rules, criminal case was filed against the owner, informed SPCB lawyer Kar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray