Proprietor of private health institute sentenced to 2 years
Kendrapara: A local court in Jagatsinghpur has sentenced the proprietor of a private health institute to two years of rigorous imprisonment for violating bio-medical waste rules.
Sub Divisional Judicial Magistrate, Jagatsinghpur, Sanjeev Kumar Samanta convicted the accused Anjan Kumar Das, proprietor of a clinic and nursing home in Jagatsinghpur district headquarters town, and sentenced him to undergo two year rigorous imprisonment.
The convict was also directed to pay Rs 50,000 as penalty for infringement of bio-medical waste rules.
The court pronounced the verdict on Wednesday for contravention of section 15 Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, and violation of Bio Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998, said State Pollution Control Board (SPCB), counsel Deb Kishore Kar.
"This is the first court verdict on bio-medical waste rule violation. Around 20 institutes, including government medical college hospitals are facing charges of violation of Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) rules. SPCB have registered cases against authorities of errant hospitals under section-15, Environment (Protection) Act, 1986. The cases are under various stages of trial in various courts," said Senior Law Officer, SPCB, Bhagbat Prasad Pattajoshi.
SPCB framed charges against the unit in Jagatsinghpur as it is empowered by the act to enforce bio-medical waste management hand handing rules.
The board had granted provisional authorisation on 16/2/2004 valid up to 15/2/2005 on trial basis. There was inspection by board officials on 16/12/2005 which detected serious lapses in waste management.
A show cause notice was served. The accused failed to submit a compliance report. The unit was again inspected on 26/2/2006. It was found that it did not adhere to earmarked practice of collection, segregation in accordance with provisions of bio-medical waste rules.
On wilful violation of rules, criminal case was filed against the owner, informed SPCB lawyer Kar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble