Ramesh appreciates `unique` bio-toilets produced by DRDO
Bhubaneswar: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Sunday praised the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for producing bio-toilets for use by civilians, mainly in rural areas, besides developing missiles.
The Rural Development Minister said the DRDO developed green toilet project is proposed to be introduced in 1,000 panchayats.
The benefit of this technology can bring a significant change in the quality of life of people, especially in rural areas, and help them lead a healthy life through proper sanitation, he said during a visit to Odisha for the launch of the novel project at Dhamra in Bhadrak district.
"The DRDO, which had been focusing on developing missiles, aircraft and other weapon systems, has now come out with bio-toilets using a unique technology," he said.
Lauding DRDO for the effort, Ramesh said his ministry is committed to improve sanitation facility in rural areas across the country.
Aiming at discouraging open defecation and improving sanitation conditions, bio-toilets are based on DRDO`s Bio-Digester technology. It has been developed by its Defence Research and Development Establishment (DRDE), Gwalior, and Defence Research Laboratory (DRL), Tezpur, sources said.
Bio-Digester technology was used to decompose biological waste generated by soldiers deployed in high altitude regions like Siachen and Ladakh, they said.
Adapted for use in all terrains, the bio-toilets degrade and convert human waste into usable water and gasses in an eco-friendly manner.
The effluent coming out of these toilets is odourless and harmless and can be used for gardening and irrigation, they said.
About 1,000 Bio-Digester toilets are proposed to be installed in different parts of Odisha in a phased manner, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam