Bhubaneswar: With the Centre consenting to a
CBI probe into alleged corruption in the rural job guarantee
scheme in Orissa, the state government on Saturday said it was ready
to face any inquiry and would fully cooperate with the
"We are ready to face inquiry by any agency into alleged
irregularities in the implementation of MGNREGA. If a CBI
probe is formally ordered, we will extend full cooperation
to the agency," Orissa Panchayati Raj Minister Prafulla Samal
told reporters here.
The state government was not afraid of probe "in any form
by any agency", Samal said, adding, "We are fully committed to
effect transparency and accountability in the process of
implementation of MGNREGA."
The minister said those found involved in irregularities
in the implementation of MGNREGA would be taken to task and
the state vigilance department had already conducted
inquiries, surprise checks and registered 111 cases involving
239 officials and personnel of different categories.
In all, 26 officials have been chargesheeted and 47
referred for departmental action, while investigation was in
progress against the rest of the accused, he said.
In addition, 532 people were brought within the purview
of punitive provisions which resulted in recovery of Rs 17.03
lakh from 146 people, Samal said, adding, 263 proceedings have
been initiated against block development officers, assistant
engineers and junior engineers.
The minister`s statement came on the heels of the Centre
informing the Supreme Court that the consent for investigation
into alleged misappropriation and diversion of funds for the
scheme has been given by the Ministry of Rural Development.