Three villages marooned, crop loss in heavy rainfall in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Incessant rainfall for the last three days has severly affected normal life in Odisha, particularly the southern parts, with at least three villages marooned in Kalahandi district.
Road communication was disrupted and electricity generation came to a halt at Upper Indravati hydro-power plant, official sources said.
The districts which have been severly hit due to the heavy rainfall are Kalahandi, Nabarangpur, Koraput, Gajapati and Rayagada, an official at the revenue and disaster management department said.
Villages like Biripur, Balichara and Matikai under Kalampur block in Kalahandi district remained cut off since yesterday while the water level receded in three other villages under Junagargh block.
About 8,000 people in two blocks of Kalahandi district were affected in the flood, they said.
Thuamul Rampur in Kalahandi district recorded the highest rainfall of 310 mm yesterday and 356 mm today, the official said.
"We have stopped electricity generation at Upper Indravati hydro-power station since yesterday due to flash flood in river Hati," Gobind Chandra Sethy, the district collector of Kalahandi district said.
"Heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of river Hati has led to a bridge at Junagarh being flooded yesterday. The bridge is under three feet of water disrupting traffic on National Hiway 201," the official said.
The water level in river Bansadhara, however, started receding after it crossed the danger level at Kashinagar in Gajapati district yesterday.
There were reports of disruption of road communication from Kalahandi, Koraput and Gajapati districts.
The heavy rainfall and flooding have affected ripe paddy crop of late summer variety which was in the process of being harvested in different blocks of Koraput and Kalahandi district, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery