Tribal rally against anti-Maoist operation in Koraput
Koraput (Orissa): Tribals opposing ongoing
anti-Maoist operation in Koraput district, where most wanted
rebel Ramakrishna is suspected to be in hiding, staged a
demonstration at Narayanpatna, about 70 km from here, on Tuesday.
The rally was organised by the Maoist-backed Chasi Mulia
Adivasi Sangha (CMAS), which had recently forcibly grabed
money lenders` lands and attacked a police station at
The demonstrators also demanded immediate release of
tribal men and women who were lodged in jail on charge of
being rebels and attacking the police station.
About 100 tribals allegedly involved in the two counts
are lodged in Koraput jail. Two of them have died in prison.
The demonstrators submitted a memorandum addressed to
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to local block development
Meanwhile, the police have launched a manhunt for
Ramakrishna, who is suspected to have taken shelter in
Narayanpatna jungle along with his son Prithvi.
The search operation has been stepped up since the arrest
of Ramakrishna`s wife Padma on November 14 from an area near
Koraput, bordering Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her