Tribal rally against anti-Maoist operation in Koraput
Koraput (Orissa): Tribals opposing ongoing
anti-Maoist operation in Koraput district, where most wanted
rebel Ramakrishna is suspected to be in hiding, staged a
demonstration at Narayanpatna, about 70 km from here, on Tuesday.
The rally was organised by the Maoist-backed Chasi Mulia
Adivasi Sangha (CMAS), which had recently forcibly grabed
money lenders` lands and attacked a police station at
The demonstrators also demanded immediate release of
tribal men and women who were lodged in jail on charge of
being rebels and attacking the police station.
About 100 tribals allegedly involved in the two counts
are lodged in Koraput jail. Two of them have died in prison.
The demonstrators submitted a memorandum addressed to
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to local block development
Meanwhile, the police have launched a manhunt for
Ramakrishna, who is suspected to have taken shelter in
Narayanpatna jungle along with his son Prithvi.
The search operation has been stepped up since the arrest
of Ramakrishna`s wife Padma on November 14 from an area near
Koraput, bordering Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional