Two aides of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda arrested: Police
Berhampur (Odisha): Two alleged aides of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, including one who acted as his courier, were arrested from Badagada in Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Monday.
Bubu Mohapatra and Agni Pollia were apprehended by a special police team last night about 100-km from here, Ganjam superintendent of police Ashish Kumar Singh said.
Police also seized a bagful of medicines from them.
Mohapatra was identified as the one who acted as a courier between Panda in hiding and his wife Mili Panda outside, the officer said.
He was also involved in handing over of arms, ammunition and cash of Rs 3.99 lakh to Sabyasachi Panda through two ultras. These were seized by police last week from Talapatama jungle near Badagada.
"The arrested duo have revealed a lot of information regarding operation of Panda`s group," the SP said, adding that Agni`s link with the Maoist outfit was being verified.
Police had arrested two Maoists -- K Anita, head of the women wing of Panda`s group and Bikram Mallick, one of the overground workers of the left wing extremists, from Talapatama jungle on Wednesday night. Several arms, ammunition, cash and Maoist literature were seized from them.
Four persons who had handed over the items to the Maoists, however, managed to escape from the spot.
During interrogation, Anita and Mallik allegedly confessed to handing over of certain items to the Maoist leader and that these were given by Mili.
Meanwhile, in Bhubaneswar, Mili claimed that she had no link with her husband.
"The police is trying to implicate me in a false case. I have not handed over any bag to any person," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...