Two aides of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda arrested: Police
Berhampur (Odisha): Two alleged aides of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, including one who acted as his courier, were arrested from Badagada in Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Monday.
Bubu Mohapatra and Agni Pollia were apprehended by a special police team last night about 100-km from here, Ganjam superintendent of police Ashish Kumar Singh said.
Police also seized a bagful of medicines from them.
Mohapatra was identified as the one who acted as a courier between Panda in hiding and his wife Mili Panda outside, the officer said.
He was also involved in handing over of arms, ammunition and cash of Rs 3.99 lakh to Sabyasachi Panda through two ultras. These were seized by police last week from Talapatama jungle near Badagada.
"The arrested duo have revealed a lot of information regarding operation of Panda`s group," the SP said, adding that Agni`s link with the Maoist outfit was being verified.
Police had arrested two Maoists -- K Anita, head of the women wing of Panda`s group and Bikram Mallick, one of the overground workers of the left wing extremists, from Talapatama jungle on Wednesday night. Several arms, ammunition, cash and Maoist literature were seized from them.
Four persons who had handed over the items to the Maoists, however, managed to escape from the spot.
During interrogation, Anita and Mallik allegedly confessed to handing over of certain items to the Maoist leader and that these were given by Mili.
Meanwhile, in Bhubaneswar, Mili claimed that she had no link with her husband.
"The police is trying to implicate me in a false case. I have not handed over any bag to any person," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch