Two aides of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda arrested: Police
Berhampur (Odisha): Two alleged aides of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, including one who acted as his courier, were arrested from Badagada in Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Monday.
Bubu Mohapatra and Agni Pollia were apprehended by a special police team last night about 100-km from here, Ganjam superintendent of police Ashish Kumar Singh said.
Police also seized a bagful of medicines from them.
Mohapatra was identified as the one who acted as a courier between Panda in hiding and his wife Mili Panda outside, the officer said.
He was also involved in handing over of arms, ammunition and cash of Rs 3.99 lakh to Sabyasachi Panda through two ultras. These were seized by police last week from Talapatama jungle near Badagada.
"The arrested duo have revealed a lot of information regarding operation of Panda`s group," the SP said, adding that Agni`s link with the Maoist outfit was being verified.
Police had arrested two Maoists -- K Anita, head of the women wing of Panda`s group and Bikram Mallick, one of the overground workers of the left wing extremists, from Talapatama jungle on Wednesday night. Several arms, ammunition, cash and Maoist literature were seized from them.
Four persons who had handed over the items to the Maoists, however, managed to escape from the spot.
During interrogation, Anita and Mallik allegedly confessed to handing over of certain items to the Maoist leader and that these were given by Mili.
Meanwhile, in Bhubaneswar, Mili claimed that she had no link with her husband.
"The police is trying to implicate me in a false case. I have not handed over any bag to any person," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents