Western Odisha lawyers to intensify stir over High Court bench
Sambalpur: Demanding a High Court bench in the region, the Central Action Committee (CAC) of the Western Odisha Bar Association on Thursday decided to paralyse functioning of the state and central government offices in nine districts during the next Assembly session.
The decision was taken in a meeting held at the Sambalpur Bar Association`s office. The CAC also decided to observe `Chetabani Saptaha` from January 21 to January 28.
"The CAC has decided that lawyers from across the region will abstain from court work during this period. Only urgent matters will be dealt," said CAC convener, Ashok Dash.
"Demonstrations will be held in front of the state secretariat on January 29 and 30 demanding establishment of the high court bench," Dash said.
A decision was also taken to paralyse functioning of the state and central government offices across the region during the Assembly session, he said.
Core committee members of the CAC would launch a fast-unto-death in front of the office of the revenue divisional commissioner, northern division at Sambalpur during the session demanding a high court bench in western Odisha, Dash added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez