Woman ration dealer burnt to death in Odisha
Berhampur: A woman ration dealer, accused of
committing irregularities in distribution of items, was burnt to death allegedly by four men near Rambha village in Ganjam district, police said Tuesday.
Pranati Nayak was attacked by the accused, who came on two motorbikes, while she was returning alone from her elder sister`s place to her rented house near Panthaniwas at Rambha last evening.
There was a power cut in the area when the assailants stabbed her with sharp-edged weapons and poured petrol before setting her ablaze, Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Chhatrapur, Alekh Chandra Pahi said.
Screaming for help, she was running on the main road towards her house with her body on flames and local people held her and informed the police, Pahi said.
She was first admitted in MKCG Medical College Hospital here and later shifted to a private hospital at Vishakapatnam in adjoining Andhra Pradesh where she succumbed to the critical burn injuries this afternoon, he said.
The victim had named the four persons in her dying statement before the police and all of them were arrested.
With her CRPF jawan husband posted elsewhere, the woman, who owned a ration shop, had earlier received threats from the assailants accusing her of committing irregularities in distribution of ration when cyclone Phailin hit the district, but no complaint was filed in this connection, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks