Akali Dal slams hike in petrol prices, seeks rollback
Chandigarh: Criticising the fresh hike in petrol prices, the Shiromani Akali Dal Friday alleged that the Congress-led UPA government intends to "punish" the middle class, which has handed it "defeats in various elections".
The UPA has given a "free-hand" to multi-national oil firms, which are busy in "robbing" the common man, party president Sukhbir Singh Badal alleged.
"If it is the multi-national companies which will decide on the prices, why do we need a government at the Centre?" Badal said, noting that by hiking prices a day after the general budget, government has made a mockery of budget process.
He demanded an immediate rollback of the hike, alleging that the decision was taken without taking the Parliament into confidence.
In a second major increase in as many weeks, the prices of petrol were hiked today by Rs 1.40 per litre.
As the hike excludes local sales tax or VAT, the effective increase in prices is set to be higher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015