Akali Dal slams hike in petrol prices, seeks rollback
Chandigarh: Criticising the fresh hike in petrol prices, the Shiromani Akali Dal Friday alleged that the Congress-led UPA government intends to "punish" the middle class, which has handed it "defeats in various elections".
The UPA has given a "free-hand" to multi-national oil firms, which are busy in "robbing" the common man, party president Sukhbir Singh Badal alleged.
"If it is the multi-national companies which will decide on the prices, why do we need a government at the Centre?" Badal said, noting that by hiking prices a day after the general budget, government has made a mockery of budget process.
He demanded an immediate rollback of the hike, alleging that the decision was taken without taking the Parliament into confidence.
In a second major increase in as many weeks, the prices of petrol were hiked today by Rs 1.40 per litre.
As the hike excludes local sales tax or VAT, the effective increase in prices is set to be higher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Sharks possess distinct personalities like humans
- 'Sultan' new poster: See robust Salman Khan turns 'Golden Sultan' magnifying the aura!
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside
- Dance with the devil: What Manchester United under Jose Mourinho might be like