Amaninder Singh Bajaj elected new Mayor of Patiala
Patiala: Shiromani Akali Dal leader and two time councillor Amaninder Singh Bajaj was on Tuesday unanimously elected as the new mayor of the city.
In a meeting of councillors held here, the election of 34-year-old leader and son of Inder Mohan Singh Bajaj-the president of SAD`s Patiala urban Unit- was conducted in presence of party in-charge for the city, Sikander Singh Maluka, and Rural Development Minister Surjit Singh Rakhra.
Amaninder is the grandson of Jathedar (late) Manmohan Singh Bajaj, who was a close associate of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
Amaninder is the fourth mayor of Patiala Municipal Corporation.
The post had fallen vacant following resignation of Jaspal Singh Pardhan, whose name figured in the case of mysterious death of his `daughter-in-law`, Parampreet Kaur, recently.
Bajaj`s name got the approval of the party high command after a three-member panel comprising S S Dhindsa, Balwinder Singh Bhunder and Sikander Singh Maluka suggested him for the post.
Earlier, Sikander Singh Maluka lauded the services rendered by outgoing mayor Jaspal Singh Pardhan. He said that since he has got clean chit from the SIT in the mysterious death case of Parampreet Kaur.
The Mayor`s post had fallen vacant in February this year when Pardhan had to resign following registration of a police case against him in connection with the case.
Later, a Special Investigation Team constituted by the Punjab Government to probe the death of Kaur, gave a clean chit to Pardhan.
According to SAD sources, despite the clean chit, the party decided not to re-instate him to avoid controversy as the case was pending with the Punjab and Haryana high court following a plea filed by Parampreet`s father seeking a CBI probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!