Custodial death: Commission asks police to fix responsibility
Hoshiarpur: The National Commission for Scheduled Caste has asked Punjab police to fix responsibility of police officers in the alleged "custodial death" of a fruit orchard contractor in Mehtiana police station.
Talking to reporters after meeting with family members of Gurmail Ram here, Raj Kumar Verka, vice chairman of the Commission said that he has asked officers to suspend SHO Mehtiana police station Karnail Singh and book him under the Prevention of Atrocities on Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes Act.
The Deputy Commissioner, Hoshiarpur has been asked to provide compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of Ram and instructions have been given to submit Ram`s post-mortem report within 10 days, he said.
Atrocities against Dalits, specially women, have increased in the country, Verka said adding that as many as 5,600 cases have been reported from Punjab alone in the past two years, with only 7 per cent conviction rate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3