Custodial death: Commission asks police to fix responsibility
Hoshiarpur: The National Commission for Scheduled Caste has asked Punjab police to fix responsibility of police officers in the alleged "custodial death" of a fruit orchard contractor in Mehtiana police station.
Talking to reporters after meeting with family members of Gurmail Ram here, Raj Kumar Verka, vice chairman of the Commission said that he has asked officers to suspend SHO Mehtiana police station Karnail Singh and book him under the Prevention of Atrocities on Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes Act.
The Deputy Commissioner, Hoshiarpur has been asked to provide compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of Ram and instructions have been given to submit Ram`s post-mortem report within 10 days, he said.
Atrocities against Dalits, specially women, have increased in the country, Verka said adding that as many as 5,600 cases have been reported from Punjab alone in the past two years, with only 7 per cent conviction rate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report