Dal Khalsa flays VVIP treatment to Jagir Kaur
Amritsar: Radical Sikh outfit Dal Khalsa on Sunday took a dig at Punjab government for allegedly extending VVIP treatment to former minister Jagir Kaur, who is in jail for conspiring in forcible abortion and abduction in the
killing of her daughter 12 years ago.
"Punjab government is violating constitution by extending
VVIP treatment to Bibi Jagir Kaur lodged in Kapurthala jail,
party`s secretary for human rights Pritpal Singh said.
Blaming the jail ministry for flouting the norms, he said
it happens only in India, where political bigwigs and rich
are considered above the law.
He urged the Governor of Punjab to take suo motu notice
of violation of norms by jail authorities.
Slamming Jagir Kaur for showing no genuine remorse, he
said she must resign from the membership of the SGPC.
Even if the Sikh Gurdwara Act, 1925 is silent on the
issue, she should resign on moral ground. "Her stubbornness to
continue as SGPC member would bring disgrace to the apex
institution of the Sikhs", he said.
He criticized Parkash Singh Badal government for
prolonging the detention of Sikh leaders (hardliners)
including Khalsa Action Commitee chairman Mohkam Singh, Daljit
Singh, Simarnjit Singh Mann and several others allegedly on
These leaders were arrested during the Punjab bandh call
given in support of the demand for saving death row convict in
Beant Singh killing case Balwant Singh Rajoana from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj