Death penalty for rape, murder of 75-yr-old woman
Chandigarh: Observing that it was a "rarest of the rare case", a court in Haryana on Tuesday awarded death sentence to a 22-year-old youth holding him guilty of raping and brutally killing a 75-year-old woman.
Neelima Shangla, Additional Sessions Judge, Sirsa, awarded death penalty to Nikka Singh under Section 302 (murder) of IPC, 13 months after the crime.
Singh was held guilty of raping a 75-year-old woman and later murdering her by gagging her mouth with a shawl and by strangulating her neck with her salwar on February 11, 2011.
The woman hailing from village Sanwat Khera, Sirsa was going for a walk near her house in the afternoon. When she did not return for long, her family members went in search of her and found her body lying in the mustard fields.
A case was registered by police and it was later established that Singh "due to his perverse lust of sex" had committed the crime. An ear ring and a pair of spectacles were later recovered by police from the spot of murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi