Election Commission guidelines for proxy voting
Chandigarh: The Election Commission on Monday
issued detailed guidelines for proxy voting by personnel of
the armed forces in the upcoming Punjab Assembly elections.
Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Punjab, Kusumjit Singh said
special provisions have been made in the law for facilitating
registration of such personnel and casting of their votes.
Under the Representation of the People Act, a member of
the Armed forces and his wife, if residing with him, can be
registered as service voters in the last part of the electoral
roll of the constituency in which his native place is located.
The CEO said members of the armed forces registered as
service voters can vote either by postal ballot or by proxy.
She said a service voter, who opts to vote through proxy,
is required to appoint a person who is resident of the area
covered by the constituency, where he or she is registered
as service elector, as proxy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider