Election Commission guidelines for proxy voting
Chandigarh: The Election Commission on Monday
issued detailed guidelines for proxy voting by personnel of
the armed forces in the upcoming Punjab Assembly elections.
Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Punjab, Kusumjit Singh said
special provisions have been made in the law for facilitating
registration of such personnel and casting of their votes.
Under the Representation of the People Act, a member of
the Armed forces and his wife, if residing with him, can be
registered as service voters in the last part of the electoral
roll of the constituency in which his native place is located.
The CEO said members of the armed forces registered as
service voters can vote either by postal ballot or by proxy.
She said a service voter, who opts to vote through proxy,
is required to appoint a person who is resident of the area
covered by the constituency, where he or she is registered
as service elector, as proxy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees