Election Commission guidelines for proxy voting
Chandigarh: The Election Commission on Monday
issued detailed guidelines for proxy voting by personnel of
the armed forces in the upcoming Punjab Assembly elections.
Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Punjab, Kusumjit Singh said
special provisions have been made in the law for facilitating
registration of such personnel and casting of their votes.
Under the Representation of the People Act, a member of
the Armed forces and his wife, if residing with him, can be
registered as service voters in the last part of the electoral
roll of the constituency in which his native place is located.
The CEO said members of the armed forces registered as
service voters can vote either by postal ballot or by proxy.
She said a service voter, who opts to vote through proxy,
is required to appoint a person who is resident of the area
covered by the constituency, where he or she is registered
as service elector, as proxy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur