Election Commission guidelines for proxy voting
Chandigarh: The Election Commission on Monday
issued detailed guidelines for proxy voting by personnel of
the armed forces in the upcoming Punjab Assembly elections.
Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Punjab, Kusumjit Singh said
special provisions have been made in the law for facilitating
registration of such personnel and casting of their votes.
Under the Representation of the People Act, a member of
the Armed forces and his wife, if residing with him, can be
registered as service voters in the last part of the electoral
roll of the constituency in which his native place is located.
The CEO said members of the armed forces registered as
service voters can vote either by postal ballot or by proxy.
She said a service voter, who opts to vote through proxy,
is required to appoint a person who is resident of the area
covered by the constituency, where he or she is registered
as service elector, as proxy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- HC tells cops to act if offence made out against Owaisi
- Ruthlessness and positive the key to success in bowling: Ishant Sharma
- Telangana: suspension of 11 lower court judges revoked
- Aung San Suu Kyi keen to visit India