HC recalls its order on Sehajdhari Sikhs
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High
Court on Tuesday recalled its order of September one allowing
Sehajdhari (non-baptised) Sikhs to vote in the SGPC polls.
It said the case would now be heard on September 22 by a
newly-constituted Full Bench of the court.
The September one order was issued after senior lawyer
Harbhagwan Singh informed the High Court that the Centre`s
notification of October 8, 2003 debarring Sehajdhari Sikhs
from casting votes had been withdrawn.
The next day the Centre clarified the notification was
still in force and there was no proposal to withdraw it.
On September six, the High Court stayed its September one
ruling following a petition by the Centre seeking recall of
The Centre had submitted that there was no proposal to
withdraw the notification and that Harbhagwan who withdrew it
on its behalf had not been authorised to do so.
The elections to the General House of the SGPC were held
on September 18.
The Supreme Court had given green signal for holding
It said results of the elections would, however, be
subject to the final outcome of the case pending in the Punjab
and Haryana High Court.
Ruling SAD-Sant Samaj alliance had swept the SGPC polls
bagging 157 seats. The SGPC General House has 170 elected
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi