Local Congress leader shot at in Punjab
Ropar (Punjab): A local Congress leader was on Sunday seriously injured after two unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants opened fire on him in the district, police said.
Rajwant Singh Gill, a resident of Kharar, was returning after paying obeisance at a Gurdwara near Chamkaur Sahib town, when they fired on him, Senior Superintendent of Police Indermohan Singh said.
He was admitted to a hospital with three bullet wounds, the officer said.
Gill was on the hit list of militants as he was reportedly very critical against terrorist activities during the 1980s. Recently, his security had been withdrawn by the Punjab police as per the directives of Supreme Court.
A case has been registered and further investigation is on, Singh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic