Local Congress leader shot at in Punjab
Ropar (Punjab): A local Congress leader was on Sunday seriously injured after two unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants opened fire on him in the district, police said.
Rajwant Singh Gill, a resident of Kharar, was returning after paying obeisance at a Gurdwara near Chamkaur Sahib town, when they fired on him, Senior Superintendent of Police Indermohan Singh said.
He was admitted to a hospital with three bullet wounds, the officer said.
Gill was on the hit list of militants as he was reportedly very critical against terrorist activities during the 1980s. Recently, his security had been withdrawn by the Punjab police as per the directives of Supreme Court.
A case has been registered and further investigation is on, Singh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days