Local Congress leader shot at in Punjab
Ropar (Punjab): A local Congress leader was on Sunday seriously injured after two unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants opened fire on him in the district, police said.
Rajwant Singh Gill, a resident of Kharar, was returning after paying obeisance at a Gurdwara near Chamkaur Sahib town, when they fired on him, Senior Superintendent of Police Indermohan Singh said.
He was admitted to a hospital with three bullet wounds, the officer said.
Gill was on the hit list of militants as he was reportedly very critical against terrorist activities during the 1980s. Recently, his security had been withdrawn by the Punjab police as per the directives of Supreme Court.
A case has been registered and further investigation is on, Singh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre