MP-5 guns recovered for first time in India by Punjab police
Chandigarh: For the first time ever in India, Punjab Police Thursday said they had recovered two sophisticated automatic MP-5 guns from the state on the basis of information from a Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) terrorist arrested recently.
This is the first time that such sophisticated automatic weapons have been recovered by any security agency in the country from terror outfits, a state police spokesman said.
"The Punjab Police today (Thursday) made sensational recovery of two MP-5 guns and one revolver.32 bore along with 200 cartridges on information provided by dreaded militant Narain Singh Chaura from the area of Police Station Verowal, Tarn Taran district. It is for the first time that such sophisticated and deadly weapon has been seized from any militant organization in the country," a Punjab police spokesman said here Thursday.
Chaura was arrested in Tarn Taran, 280 km from here, Feb 26.
Police said that it had recovered a big cache of arms, including an AK-56 rifle along with one magazine and 50 live cartridges, one pistol .30 bore with ammunition and five hand grenades from Chaura.
Wanted in several cases of terrorism and with a reward of Rs.10 lakh on him, Chaura was being tracked as he was trying to revive militancy in Punjab, a senior police officer said in Chandigarh.
Chaura, who was involved in many heinous crimes, was also instrumental in Chandigarh`s Burail jail break by Babbar Khalsa terrorists Jagtar Singh Hawara, Jagtar Singh Tara and Paramjit Singh Bhaura. All three had made a sensational escape from the high-security Burail jail using a 108-feet long tunnel on the night intervening Jan 21-22, 2004.
The police spokesman said that Chaura, who used different names had been actively associated with militant activities in Punjab since early 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes