MP-5 guns recovered for first time in India by Punjab police
Chandigarh: For the first time ever in India, Punjab Police Thursday said they had recovered two sophisticated automatic MP-5 guns from the state on the basis of information from a Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) terrorist arrested recently.
This is the first time that such sophisticated automatic weapons have been recovered by any security agency in the country from terror outfits, a state police spokesman said.
"The Punjab Police today (Thursday) made sensational recovery of two MP-5 guns and one revolver.32 bore along with 200 cartridges on information provided by dreaded militant Narain Singh Chaura from the area of Police Station Verowal, Tarn Taran district. It is for the first time that such sophisticated and deadly weapon has been seized from any militant organization in the country," a Punjab police spokesman said here Thursday.
Chaura was arrested in Tarn Taran, 280 km from here, Feb 26.
Police said that it had recovered a big cache of arms, including an AK-56 rifle along with one magazine and 50 live cartridges, one pistol .30 bore with ammunition and five hand grenades from Chaura.
Wanted in several cases of terrorism and with a reward of Rs.10 lakh on him, Chaura was being tracked as he was trying to revive militancy in Punjab, a senior police officer said in Chandigarh.
Chaura, who was involved in many heinous crimes, was also instrumental in Chandigarh`s Burail jail break by Babbar Khalsa terrorists Jagtar Singh Hawara, Jagtar Singh Tara and Paramjit Singh Bhaura. All three had made a sensational escape from the high-security Burail jail using a 108-feet long tunnel on the night intervening Jan 21-22, 2004.
The police spokesman said that Chaura, who used different names had been actively associated with militant activities in Punjab since early 1980s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims
- Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested over alleged terror links
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis