Nirmal Yadav moves HC, Judge recuses
Chandigarh: A judge of the Punjab and
Haryana High Court on Tuesday recused himself from hearing a plea
of its former judge Nirmal Yadav challenging the summons
issued to her in connection with the 2008 `cash-at-judge`s
The petition came up for hearing before Justice
Kanwaljit Singh Ahluwalia. As a battery of lawyers led by
Supreme Court advocate KTS Tulsi appeared for Yadav before the
bench in a jam packed courtroom, Justice Ahluwalia refused to
hear the case and referred it to another bench.
Yadav had, in her application, sought quashing of the
summons directing her to appear in person on May 18 and the
charge sheet filed by the CBI against her and others in the
special court here on March four.
Special Judge Ritu Tagore had issued summons against
Yadav on April 30 directing her to appear in person.
After Justice Ahluwalia recused himself, her counsel
requested Acting Chief Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel to place the
matter before another judge.
A request was also made to fix the case for hearing on
May 20 but Justice Goel made it clear that the court could not
fix the matter for a particular date.
Her counsel said they would now move an application to
the High Court Registry so that the petition is put up before
Yadav`s counsel, in her petition, has claimed the
"sanction for her prosecution was granted by the President of
India without there being any fresh material placed before the
competent authority by the CBI requiring review of the earlier
order declining such sanction."
The counsel said the then Chief Justice of India
directed closure of investigation against the petitioner and
refused to grant sanction for her prosecution.
Elaborating, the counsel said then Secretary, Ministry
of Law and Justice, DR Meena, addressed a letter on December
7, 2009, to then CBI Director Ashwani Kumar.
Meena wrote that the case of the petitioner was
discussed by the Minister for Law and Justice with the then
Chief Justice of India. He observed no action was required and
the case papers relating to the petitioner be returned to the
Department of Personnel and Training.
But, "to the utter surprise of the petitioner, on
March 1, sanction for her prosecution was granted by the
President of India", the petition said.
Her counsel added "it is well-settled that request for
sanction to prosecute once rejected upon due application of
mind by the authority competent to grant or advise sanction
cannot be reviewed/ re-considered, unless there is any fresh
material necessitating such fresh look at the earlier order."
The name of Justice Yadav had surfaced in the cash at
judge`s door step as the alleged intended receipt of Rs 15
lakh which had erroneously landed in the house of another
High Court Judge Justice Nirmaljit Kaur Court who reported the
matter to the Chandigarh Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'