Now, Cong leader claims Punjab men losing virility due to drugs
New Delhi: Days after Rahul Gandhi`s controversial comments on drug abuse in Punjab, a senior Congress leader on Monday came out in his support, claiming that the virility of men from Punjab has gone down drastically due to drug abuse and alcoholism.
CWC member Jagmeet Singh Brar claimed that the data compiled by a World Health Organisation Committee has brought to the fore the findings that "the sperm count of men from Punjab has drastically gone down, thanks to drug abuse, alcoholism."
"The big, macho Punjabi male is losing his vigour and that, too fast," he said in a statement, claiming that the Medical Superintendent and Head of Department of Pathhology of the Dayananad Medical College, Ludhiana confirmed it.
He also said that a leading University in Punjab, whose Vice Chancellor is appointed by the Chief Minister of Punjab, has after a survey claimed that 70 per cent of Punjab men are either drug addicts or suffering from alcohol problem.
Rahul Gandhi`s comment in Chandigarh on October 11 that seven out of 10 youths in Punjab have a drug problem had triggered a controversy with ruling Akali Dal terming the statement "immature"
Congress was quick to back Rahul over the remarks with the AICC citing a High Court order and a state government affidavit to say that findings indeed suggest that 70 per cent youths in the state are suffering from drug addiction.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal had said, "The immature statement by the Congress general secretary that 7 out of 10 youths in Punjab are drug addicts was a diversionary exercise to deflect the attention of media from ongoing Vadragate and Coalgate".
Brar today described Rahul`s remarks as a "wake-up call" and accused Badals of "publicly misleading people" on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS