Poll campaigning comes to end in Punjab
Chandigarh: The three week-long campaigning
for 117-seat Punjab Assembly ended this evening with ruling
SAD-BJP alliance and opposition Congress putting their best
foot forward to wrest power in the January 30 polls.
The campaigning by and large remained peaceful in the
state which saw national leaders including Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi, General
Secretary Rahul Gandhi, BJP leaders LK Advani, Nitin Gadkari,
Arun Jaitley, Rajnath Singh, Uma Bharti and BSP Chief Mayawati
criss-cross the state.
Besides Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, the other
campaigners included Team Anna members who, however, did not
advocate in favour or any political party confining their
campaign to corruption and setting up of a strong Lokpal.
Film and TV actors Hema Malini, Shatrughan Sinha, Rajesh
Khanna, Kirron Kher and Samriti Irani and a host of local
singers and actors, including Gurdas Mann, Harbhajan Mann and
Gurpreet Ghuggi besides cricketer-turned-politicians Navjot
Sidhu and Mohd Azharudin added to the colour.
The other leaders who visited the state included Union
Ministers Ambika Soni and Ghulam Nabi Azad, Himachal Pradesh
Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, former Chief Ministers of
Rajasthan and Haryana Vasundhara Raje Scindia and Om Parkash
Leaders of Left and other parties, including Brinda Karat
and Sitaram Yechury, also toured the state which will see a
total of 1,078 candidates, including 93 women, in fray.
About 1.76 crore voters, including 83.61 lakh women, will
seal the fate of the candidates at 19,841 polling stations,
including five identified as "hyper sensitive" and 32 as
Besides Punjab Police personnel, about 200 companies of
central paramilitary forces will be deployed in the state to
ensure free and fair polling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow