Punjab: Jagir Kaur`s village observes bandh
Kapurthala: Yet to come to terms with the
conviction of Punjab Minister and senior SAD leader Jagir
Kaur, residents of her native Begowal village in the district
observed a shutdown on Saturday.
The bandh passed off peacefully though all commercial
establishments were shut in the village.
A village elder said the residents were in a state of
shock and disbelief following her conviction by a CBI court.
No untoward incident was reported from any part of
Bholath assembly constituency from where 57-year-old Kaur had
been elected as an MLA, police said.
Yesterday, Kaur, a former SGPC chief, was sentenced to
5-year imprisonment by a CBI court for conspiring in forcible
abortion and abduction in connection with the mysterious death
of her teenage daughter 12 years ago.
The lone woman member in the Parkash Singh Badal
ministry, which was sworn-in earlier this month, was, however,
acquitted of the murder charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!