Punjab: Jagir Kaur`s village observes bandh
Kapurthala: Yet to come to terms with the
conviction of Punjab Minister and senior SAD leader Jagir
Kaur, residents of her native Begowal village in the district
observed a shutdown on Saturday.
The bandh passed off peacefully though all commercial
establishments were shut in the village.
A village elder said the residents were in a state of
shock and disbelief following her conviction by a CBI court.
No untoward incident was reported from any part of
Bholath assembly constituency from where 57-year-old Kaur had
been elected as an MLA, police said.
Yesterday, Kaur, a former SGPC chief, was sentenced to
5-year imprisonment by a CBI court for conspiring in forcible
abortion and abduction in connection with the mysterious death
of her teenage daughter 12 years ago.
The lone woman member in the Parkash Singh Badal
ministry, which was sworn-in earlier this month, was, however,
acquitted of the murder charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!