Punjab Police bust inter-state gang, 7 held
Mohali, Punjab: Punjab Police have busted an inter-state gang of robbers and arrested seven people, officials said Wednesday.
Police also recovered two pistols, cartridges and other weapons from their possession late Tuesday.
According to police, the gang was planning a major heist in the area when a police team nabbed them from a secluded place near Mullanpur village, close to Chandigarh.
"Acting on a tip-off from our secret source, we laid a trap and arrested this gang of robbers. Police have recovered sophisticated pistols, live cartridges, sharp-edged weapons and two stolen motorcycles from their possession," said district police chief Gurpreet Singh Bhullar.
He added, "This gang has been active in this region for the last many months and were involved in many major robberies. They also have links with similar gangs in other states. We are hoping to solve many pending cases and to make more recoveries after a thorough interrogation."
The arrested were identified as Avtar Singh, Sulakhan Jalli, Anuj alias Khan, Amarinder Rocky, Balwinder Singh, Kulbir Babloo and Balwant Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube