SGPC executive approves amendment in Nanakshahi calendar
Amritsar: The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak
Committee (SGPC) today gave approval to bring in amendments in
the `Nanak Shahi` Calendar, used by the Sikh community, at a
meeting here amid chaos.
However, three out of 15 executive members -- Sukhdev
Singh Bhaur, Karnail Singh Panjoli and Bibi Ravinder Kaur from
Haryana -- boycotted the meeting held at Teja Singh Samundri
Hall here as they were opposed to the amendment.
Last week, the Akal Takht, highest Sikh temporal seat,
had sent its proposals to SGPC, considered the mini-parliament
of Sikhs, to discuss the necessary steps to make amendments in
SGPC Chief Avtar Singh said after the amendments, from
now onwards all religious occasions like birth and death
anniversaries of Sikh Gurus (masters) would be followed as per
Earlier the dates of the religious occasions as per the
`Nanak Shahi` Calendar, followed by the community since 2003,
were not matching with the general calenders.
"Now Nanak Shahi Calendar along with the amendments will
be again sent to Jatehdar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh for
final approval," he said.
Sources at Akal Takht said that Jatehdar was empowered to
issue final edict for Sikh community to follow the Nanak Shahi
Calendar with new amendments.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case