SGPC executive approves amendment in Nanakshahi calendar
Amritsar: The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak
Committee (SGPC) today gave approval to bring in amendments in
the `Nanak Shahi` Calendar, used by the Sikh community, at a
meeting here amid chaos.
However, three out of 15 executive members -- Sukhdev
Singh Bhaur, Karnail Singh Panjoli and Bibi Ravinder Kaur from
Haryana -- boycotted the meeting held at Teja Singh Samundri
Hall here as they were opposed to the amendment.
Last week, the Akal Takht, highest Sikh temporal seat,
had sent its proposals to SGPC, considered the mini-parliament
of Sikhs, to discuss the necessary steps to make amendments in
SGPC Chief Avtar Singh said after the amendments, from
now onwards all religious occasions like birth and death
anniversaries of Sikh Gurus (masters) would be followed as per
Earlier the dates of the religious occasions as per the
`Nanak Shahi` Calendar, followed by the community since 2003,
were not matching with the general calenders.
"Now Nanak Shahi Calendar along with the amendments will
be again sent to Jatehdar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh for
final approval," he said.
Sources at Akal Takht said that Jatehdar was empowered to
issue final edict for Sikh community to follow the Nanak Shahi
Calendar with new amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark