SGPC executive approves amendment in Nanakshahi calendar
Amritsar: The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak
Committee (SGPC) today gave approval to bring in amendments in
the `Nanak Shahi` Calendar, used by the Sikh community, at a
meeting here amid chaos.
However, three out of 15 executive members -- Sukhdev
Singh Bhaur, Karnail Singh Panjoli and Bibi Ravinder Kaur from
Haryana -- boycotted the meeting held at Teja Singh Samundri
Hall here as they were opposed to the amendment.
Last week, the Akal Takht, highest Sikh temporal seat,
had sent its proposals to SGPC, considered the mini-parliament
of Sikhs, to discuss the necessary steps to make amendments in
SGPC Chief Avtar Singh said after the amendments, from
now onwards all religious occasions like birth and death
anniversaries of Sikh Gurus (masters) would be followed as per
Earlier the dates of the religious occasions as per the
`Nanak Shahi` Calendar, followed by the community since 2003,
were not matching with the general calenders.
"Now Nanak Shahi Calendar along with the amendments will
be again sent to Jatehdar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh for
final approval," he said.
Sources at Akal Takht said that Jatehdar was empowered to
issue final edict for Sikh community to follow the Nanak Shahi
Calendar with new amendments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!