Sonia Gandhi should decide the new PCC chief: Amarinder
Patiala: Former Chief Minister Amarinder
Singh, a strong contender for the post of Punjab Congress
chief, today said the decision on the new state party
president should be left to Sonia Gandhi.
"It is a tradition that the members of PCC normally
authorise Congress president to decide the candidate for the
post of PCC president. PCC president should be her choice,"
said Singh, who arrived to a rousing reception in his home
town from Delhi following the Supreme Court quashing his
expulsion from the state assembly.
Singh, who was accompanied by his wife Preneet Kaur,
Minister of State for External Affairs, said that by the month
of July the picture will be clear on who will head Punjab
Asked about his chances of becoming the president of
state unit, Singh said he will abide by the decision of the
"It will be done on national basis. It will be
elections if the Congress president thinks otherwise," he
Asked about taking part in the SGPC elections, he
said, "It is our private right to support credible alternative
against the candidates of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal."
Asked about supporters of leader of opposition and his
bete-noire Rajinder Kaur Bhatal staying away from his
reception, he said, "in Amritsar 35 Congress MLAs have joined
me and now it was my home town. I don`t bother who comes and
who does not".
Veteran Congress leader and MLA from Samana Brahm
Mohindra also preferred to stay away from Singh`s reception.
Singh travelled in an open jeep from the airport and
was accompanied by a large number of supporters. Banners were
put on the road from airport to the Gurdwara Dukhniwaran
No employee or priest of SGPC came forward to give
siropa (robe of honour) to Singh at the Gurdwara. Singh also
went to Kali Devi Mata mandir to pay obeisance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'