Sukhbir approves conceptual plan of New Chandigarh
Chandigarh: The comprehensive conceptual plan to develop `New Chandigarh` in the Mullanpur area on the outskirts of the city was approved Friday by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Sukhbir, in a high-level meeting here, said the state government aimed to develop New Chandigarh as one of the best planned cities with ultra modern infrastructure to enable it to face the challenges of 21st century.
The Punjab government was also planning to make New Chandigarh an economic hub of South East Asia, he said, adding the conceptual plan was prepared by Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA).
The new city planned in an area of 15272.5 acre in the foothills of Shivaliks, would have Eco-City, Medi-City, Education-City and mega projects that would propel the development of the state to the next orbit, Sukhbir said.
Asking GMADA to expedite the acquisition of land for Education City, Eco-City and Medi-City, Sukhbir said road and allied infrastructure for these projects have to be completed by December 2013.
Giving the details about Edu-City, he said reputed international universities and institutes in areas of hospital administration, management courses, computer science and engineering branches, biotechnology, multimedia, pharmaceuticals, tourism and hospitality, industrial design, media and mass communication were evincing great interest to set up their institutes in the proposed education city.
He said that after seeking their expression of interest, a short listing process would begin and land would be allotted to them after completion of road infrastructure.
Approving Rs 1,278 crore for the infrastructure of the proposed city, Sukhbir said Rs 660 crore has been sanctioned for Road Infrastructure and he would not accept anything below world class infrastructure technology in the building of road network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video