Sukhbir approves conceptual plan of New Chandigarh
Chandigarh: The comprehensive conceptual plan to develop `New Chandigarh` in the Mullanpur area on the outskirts of the city was approved Friday by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Sukhbir, in a high-level meeting here, said the state government aimed to develop New Chandigarh as one of the best planned cities with ultra modern infrastructure to enable it to face the challenges of 21st century.
The Punjab government was also planning to make New Chandigarh an economic hub of South East Asia, he said, adding the conceptual plan was prepared by Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA).
The new city planned in an area of 15272.5 acre in the foothills of Shivaliks, would have Eco-City, Medi-City, Education-City and mega projects that would propel the development of the state to the next orbit, Sukhbir said.
Asking GMADA to expedite the acquisition of land for Education City, Eco-City and Medi-City, Sukhbir said road and allied infrastructure for these projects have to be completed by December 2013.
Giving the details about Edu-City, he said reputed international universities and institutes in areas of hospital administration, management courses, computer science and engineering branches, biotechnology, multimedia, pharmaceuticals, tourism and hospitality, industrial design, media and mass communication were evincing great interest to set up their institutes in the proposed education city.
He said that after seeking their expression of interest, a short listing process would begin and land would be allotted to them after completion of road infrastructure.
Approving Rs 1,278 crore for the infrastructure of the proposed city, Sukhbir said Rs 660 crore has been sanctioned for Road Infrastructure and he would not accept anything below world class infrastructure technology in the building of road network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked