Sukhbir approves conceptual plan of New Chandigarh
Chandigarh: The comprehensive conceptual plan to develop `New Chandigarh` in the Mullanpur area on the outskirts of the city was approved Friday by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Sukhbir, in a high-level meeting here, said the state government aimed to develop New Chandigarh as one of the best planned cities with ultra modern infrastructure to enable it to face the challenges of 21st century.
The Punjab government was also planning to make New Chandigarh an economic hub of South East Asia, he said, adding the conceptual plan was prepared by Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA).
The new city planned in an area of 15272.5 acre in the foothills of Shivaliks, would have Eco-City, Medi-City, Education-City and mega projects that would propel the development of the state to the next orbit, Sukhbir said.
Asking GMADA to expedite the acquisition of land for Education City, Eco-City and Medi-City, Sukhbir said road and allied infrastructure for these projects have to be completed by December 2013.
Giving the details about Edu-City, he said reputed international universities and institutes in areas of hospital administration, management courses, computer science and engineering branches, biotechnology, multimedia, pharmaceuticals, tourism and hospitality, industrial design, media and mass communication were evincing great interest to set up their institutes in the proposed education city.
He said that after seeking their expression of interest, a short listing process would begin and land would be allotted to them after completion of road infrastructure.
Approving Rs 1,278 crore for the infrastructure of the proposed city, Sukhbir said Rs 660 crore has been sanctioned for Road Infrastructure and he would not accept anything below world class infrastructure technology in the building of road network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Photo alert! Latest pic of Twinkle Khanna with daughter Nitara will surely make you go aww
- Will drag Preeti Menon to court: Maharastra minister Eknath Khadse on 'links' with Dawood
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'
- At least 13 dead in Vietnam bus smash