UK riots: SGPC to write to PM, UK High Commissioner
Chandigarh: Expressing concern over rioting and looting in some cities of Britain, Shiromani Gurdwara
Prabandhak Committee on Thursday said it will write to the Prime Minister and the UK`s High Commissioner in India to ensure security for the Sikhs and gurudwaras in the country.
"We are concerned over the events which have unfolded over the past few days in UK. A large number of Sikhs are settled there and the country has several gurudwaras," SGPC PRESIDENT Avtar Singh Makkar said in the backdrop of Sikhs taking to the streets to protect the Guru Singh Sabha gurdwara
He said soon he would be writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging the government to take up with British authorities to ensure adequate security measures so that the gurudwaras and the Sikh community are protected.
"We are also in touch with Sikh community leaders in UK and keeping a close watch on the situation," Makkar, head of the apex religious body of the Sikhs who today filed his nomination papers in Ludhiana for the next month`s SGPC polls, told a news agency over phone.
"Sikhs are a peace loving community. Around the world they have contributed to the development of nations where they have settled. We hope that good sense will prevail on those fomenting trouble (in UK) and peace returns fast," he said.
An uneasy calm prevailed over Britain`s cities today after four days of rioting and looting, with security being beefed up and a stern warning from Prime Minister David Cameron that law and order will be restored at any cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack