UK riots: SGPC to write to PM, UK High Commissioner
Chandigarh: Expressing concern over rioting and looting in some cities of Britain, Shiromani Gurdwara
Prabandhak Committee on Thursday said it will write to the Prime Minister and the UK`s High Commissioner in India to ensure security for the Sikhs and gurudwaras in the country.
"We are concerned over the events which have unfolded over the past few days in UK. A large number of Sikhs are settled there and the country has several gurudwaras," SGPC PRESIDENT Avtar Singh Makkar said in the backdrop of Sikhs taking to the streets to protect the Guru Singh Sabha gurdwara
He said soon he would be writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging the government to take up with British authorities to ensure adequate security measures so that the gurudwaras and the Sikh community are protected.
"We are also in touch with Sikh community leaders in UK and keeping a close watch on the situation," Makkar, head of the apex religious body of the Sikhs who today filed his nomination papers in Ludhiana for the next month`s SGPC polls, told a news agency over phone.
"Sikhs are a peace loving community. Around the world they have contributed to the development of nations where they have settled. We hope that good sense will prevail on those fomenting trouble (in UK) and peace returns fast," he said.
An uneasy calm prevailed over Britain`s cities today after four days of rioting and looting, with security being beefed up and a stern warning from Prime Minister David Cameron that law and order will be restored at any cost.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way